Humans have been using gold bullion to store wealth and diversify portfolios for millennia. We choose to invest in gold because It is a great way to diversify your portfolio; it is a store of value and acts as a hedge against inflation, economic risks and geopolitical risks.
Deciding to buy gold is a big step. However, once you have made the decision to invest in precious metals there are a number of questions that you will still have to answer. An important one is ‘where can you buy gold?’
Also read: What is Gold?
To help you to answer this we will look at the different options as to where you can acquire gold.
Physical Gold in the UK
You can buy physical gold from specialist gold dealers and the UK is one of the best places to do this. This is thanks to the United Kingdom’s various checks, balances and quality controls that are put in place. In theory this should mean that the gold you collect from one seller is the same as that from another, however investors will find differences between premiums charged, service offered and the options available.
Also read: How to buy Physical Gold?
Buying Gold Coins in the UK
Gold coins in the UK are one of the two main ways investors choose to own physical gold bullion., with gold bars being the other.
There are a number of options when it comes to deciding where to buy gold coins in the UK. You can read about them in detail here but we provide a quick summary below:
- Traditional bricks and mortar shops - Increasingly uncommon and may have high premiums due to the costs of running a physical, street-side presence. However, there are some advantages to buying face-to-face: one is that you can see the coins before making a purchase and the other is that you can take possession of them as soon as you have paid for them.
- Online marketplaces - Choosing to invest in gold coins from an online marketplace can be a little overwhelming as the space is largely unregulated. It can be difficult to ensure you are buying an authentic product and premiums can be very high. If you do choose to buy through an online marketplace we suggest you thoroughly check customer reviews first and be sure to look for any hidden costs such as insurance fees and shipping costs.
- The Royal Mint is a secure online marketplace and is well-renowned in the gold and silver coin market. However, options are limited as they only sell coins that they mint themselves. So if you wish to acquire gold Krugerrands or American Eagles, for example, you would be unable to. They also charge quite high premiums which can eat into your returns. It is also worth noting that unlike GoldCore, the Royal Mint do not buy back bullion.
- Post Offices - Some Post Offices act as merchants for Royal Mint products. So the advantages and disadvantages are very similar to buying direct from the Royal Mint. Generally, Royal Mint products sold by the Post Office are sold and packaged as gifts, so the premiums can be even higher. Read more on buying Gold coins from Post Office.
- Gold bullion dealers - Dedicated UK gold bullion dealers, such as GoldCore are an excellent choice when deciding how to secure gold in the UK. We recommend only sourcing gold coins from a dedicated gold dealer for best results. By working with a dedicated dealer, you are guaranteed investment grade gold coins at competitive price points.
Also Read: How to buy Gold Coins in UK?
Gold Coins from GoldCore
We offer our clients an extensive range of gold bullion coins from all over the world. We currently offer the following:
- Austrian Philharmonic
- Australian Kangaroo
- South African Krugerrand
- British Gold Britannia
- British Gold Sovereign
- Canadian Gold Maple Leaf
- American Eagle
Where can I obtain gold bars from?
Gold bars are another way to own gold bullion. As with gold coins, buyers must be vigilant when deciding who they would like to buy gold bars from. We always recommend looking at customer reviews and carrying out comparisons across the many sellers. As well as price and customer reviews you should look out for any hidden costs, storage options offered, any buy-back options and the range of bars available.
Also read: How to Buy Gold Bars?
- Traditional bricks and mortar shops - There are some advantages to buying face-to-face: one is that you can see the gold bars prior to making a purchase and the other is that you can take possession of them as soon as you have paid for them. But they are only likely to sell very small bars and they will have higher premiums due to the costs of running a physical, street-side presence. Furthermore their product offering is likely to be quite simple and so you may not have the options available to make sure you can make the best investment decision. For example, they are unlikely to offer secure storage, or unallocated gold, or Perth Mint Certificates.
- Online marketplaces - Choosing to buy gold bars in the UK from an online marketplace can be risky as the market is largely unregulated. You need to be able to ensure you are buying an authentic product and premiums can be very high. If you do choose to buy through an online marketplace we suggest you thoroughly check customer reviews first and be sure to look for any hidden costs such as insurance fees and shipping costs. Again, options will be limited such as storage and buy-back arrangements.
The Royal Mint is a secure online marketplace and has an age-old reputation in the precious metals space. As with gold coins options are limited as they only sell gold bullion that they mint themselves. They also charge quite high premiums which can eat into your returns. It is also worth noting that unlike GoldCore, the Royal Mint do not buy back bullion.
- Dedicated UK gold bullion dealers - with more than 14,000 clients and over $1 billion in transactions, it is clear that GoldCore is a top choice among precious metal investors, when it comes to buying gold bullion. We offer a wide range of gold bar products. From buying and taking delivery of a 250g investment grade gold bars, through to holding gold through to Perth Mint Certificate Program, we are sure to have the right product for you to obtain gold in the UK.
Read more: Where to buy Gold Bars in UK?
Why buy gold in the UK from GoldCore?
Here at GoldCore, we have operated within the precious metal sphere for almost 20 years. We have more than 14,400 clients in over 130 countries worldwide. Our world-class trading platform is one of the most sophisticated and secure in the industry, and we handle thousands of transactions monthly. We also manage and store over $130 million in assets for our clients. With GoldCore, you can rest assured that you’re in good hands.
GoldCore has been helping UK investors acquire gold since 2003 when we first launched our Gold Accumulation program. From both online and our London office we continue to offer UK investors the opportunity to get gold bars and gold coins, at low premiums through our trusted platform. GoldCore is here to help you to purchase gold bullion and/or coins either at home or in a secure, insured and audited storage facility.
You can browse our selection of gold bars and coins at your leisure, whilst using our on-page live feed to keep an eye on gold spot prices. Customers have the choice to take delivery of gold, or choose to store it with us in our highly secure vaults. In contrast to other gold sellers, we buy back all bullion sold and stored in our facilities, and we have additional processes in place to obtain gold stored in clients’ personal vaults.
What are you waiting for? If you are in the UK Click here to get started now: Buy Gold UK.
Also read: Is it a good time to buy Gold?
How to Buy Gold?
Buying gold bullion with GoldCore couldn’t be easier. You can set up a trading account and manage your investments from the comfort of your own home. Simply visit the “open account” page on our secure site and follow the on-screen instructions.
Need assistance? We understand that investing in gold bullion for the first time can be overwhelming. Our experts are on hand to help though. Simply schedule your free strategy call with our team or call our office on: Ireland +(01) 653 3426, UK +44203 0869200, US +1 888 381 8130. We are ready to answer any questions you may have, or to help you in any way we can. We look forward to hearing from you.
Also read: How much Gold can you travel with?